Public Release of Medicare Statistics:
2018-19 Financial Year-to-Date (YTD) July to December
More Medicare Services overallThe volume of total Medicare services in the 2018-19 financial YTD July to December was 210.3 million services, at a cost of $12.0 billion in Medicare benefits. This compares to 206.7 million services during the same period in 2017-18, at a cost of $11.6 billion in Medicare benefits. This is an increase of 1.2%1 in service volumes and an increase in benefits of 3.1%1 compared to the same period in 2017-18.
Patients are receiving more Medicare services that are fully subsidisedIn the 2018-19 financial YTD July to December, patients received 165.7 million bulk billed Medicare services compared to 162.5 million during the same period in 2017-18. This represents an additional 3.2 million fully subsidised Medicare services compared to the same period in 2017-18.
Rates of bulk billing for GP attendances, Pathology, Diagnostic Imaging continue to increase
|Total GP (excl practice nurse)*|
*The change in bulk billing rate in percentage points is calculated before rounding the bulk billing rate to 1 decimal point. For this reason, percentage point differences reported may differ from calculations derived using reported bulk billing rates.
- Reporting figures on a YTD basis allows for comparisons between the same periods across quarters, year-to-date and financial years. This corrects for seasonal variations (winter versus summer) and the timing of public holidays.
Understanding Bulk Billing Rates
- Bulk billing is reported on a year-to-date (YTD) basis over the course of the financial year. The bulk billing rate is calculated, then rounded to one decimal point for reporting purposes.
- The latest bulk billing figures are for the July 2018 to December 2018 period.
- Bulk billing data is also reported for individual quarters.
- Bulk billing data is reported for:
- All MBS services, by state/territory and remoteness area for 16 Broad Type of Service (BTOS) categories. Each BTOS category typically comprises a set of related MBS group of items.
- For example, bulk billing data is available for GP and specialist attendances, pathology, diagnostic imaging, practice nurses and allied health services.
The Department of Health has made every effort to ensure that the Microsoft Excel version of the above documents meets accessibility requirements. If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the information contained within this document, please email MBS.Statistics@health.gov.au to arrange for an alternative format to be provided to you.